Including Garfield Rd North Side, Riverstone Parade & Over the Railway Line
by Riverstone & District Historical Society 2002
Garfield Road, Riverstone (at the time known as Windsor Road), circa 1907
Garfield Road – North Side
A photo of the north side of Garfield Rd coming up from the railway in c.1900 shows no shops, only vacant paddocks. There is a slab building further up the hill and Parrington Terrace is shown on top of the hill. It is not known exactly when the first shops appeared on this side of Garfield Road.
#s 1 – 5 Garfield Rd
A photo taken from the corner of Garfield Rd and Riverstone Parade in the late1 800’s shows a residence with store and Refreshment Rooms, facing the railway and set back from the corner. This shop was owned by Tom and Mrs. Schoffel, it was probably demolished in the mid 1920’s.
These three blocks, between Riverstone Parade and the lane, were part of the James estate that was sold to Bill East in 1931. Conway’s, who owned the adjacent newsagency, then bought this land in Garfield Rd. in 1940 and it remained vacant up to the 1 9509s, though they did build a tennis court on the site. It is of interest to note that these blocks up until this time had faced Riverstone Parade, it was only when Conway’s decided to sell the land to the Commonwealth and Commercial banks, the blocks were altered to face Garfield Rd.
The Commonwealth Bank built on the corner in 1950, prior to this the bank had been operating from temporary premises next door to the Post Office. In 1951 the Commercial Bank moved from No. 7, across the lane to their new larger premises at No’s. 3 and 5.
#s 7 -9 Garfield Rd.
These 2 shops were built for a Miss Shirley in 1923 and used for dressmaking and the sale of dresses and costumes. It appears she used one shop and leased the other.
The Gazette 20/7/1929, noted dentist Murray visited Riverstone each Friday and practiced in one of Miss Shirleys shops in 1929. Mr. F. Pezet was another dentist who practiced in this shop.
The corner shop was leased in 1928 to the Commercial Bank and they occupied it till 1951, when they moved across the lane.
Miss Shirley continued to use No. 9 until she retired in 1934. In 1935 it was leased to the baker Harold Wallace for a short period when he returned to Riverstone.
Garfield Road, Riverstone. Showing Miss Shirley’s 2 Shops; Nichol’s Garage and Billy Hugh’s Boot makers [Photo Courtesy of the Edwards family]
Garfield Road, Riverstone. Showing the Butchers and Chemist shops, Circa 1954.
Chemist Lyle Mitchell opened his chemist shop in 1936. He sold it in c1 944 to Chemist Earl Williams who operated it until the late 1950’s when he moved into larger new premises at No. 17 Garfield Rd.
Brian McNamara used the corner shop for his hairdressing business from 1964 to 1968. These 2 shops were demolished prior to 1979, with the present Commonwealth Bank opening in September 1980.
# 11 Garfield Rd.
In 1934 Bill Nichols, a motor engineer, bought this site and built his garage and repair shop, opening for business in 1935. The garage is remembered by many for its three petrol pumps on the kerbside, each selling a different brand of petrol. While Bill was serving in the Army during the 2nd World War, the garage was managed by his father ‘Pop’ Nichols. The Nichols family operated from this site until the 1960’s when they moved the business to the site opposite Oxford St. An ad in 1957 shows Nichols to be the local Dodge and Peugeot agent.
Bill had opened his first garage on the other side of Garfield Rd in 1926, opposite the present day post office, 12 months later moving down and over the line to the Carlton St. corner, where he operated for 7 years in part of the workshop owned by Harry Williams the blacksmith.
#l3 Garfield Rd.
It was on this site and set back from the road that George and Connie Moulds had their house and stables for their trotters. Fronting Garfield Rd were two small shops, possibly built c1 91 0. The top shop was used by the Moulds family as a fish and chip shop, although a 1928 business directory shows George Moulds with a smallgoods shop. Mrs. Harris occupied it in the 1940’s as a fish and chip shop.
WILLIAM ARTHUR (BILL) HUGHES 1890-1956
William Arthur Hughes known as Bill was born at Balmain, New South Wales, on the 6th. February 1890, and as a boy, delivered meat around the area on horseback for his father who owned the first butcher shop in Balmain.
Bill left school at an early age and went to work in a boot factory in Redfern where he learnt his trade as a bootmaker and repairer.
He opened his first shop in Glebe in the early 1920’s, moved to Leichhardt in 1929, then in 1932 moving again, he came to live in Riverstone with his wife and family of six children, two boys and four girls.
Living in the old slab house also known as “The White House” on the Western side of the Eastern Creek, Garfield Road, the family were flooded out many times. The Hanna family who also lived on that side of the creek owned this old house. The rent was Two Shillings (Twenty Cents) per week.
Employed by the Blacktown Council, Bill worked two days one week and three days the next week repairing relief workers boots, this was a type of working for the dole during the depression of the early 1930’s.
He opened his Riverstone shop in 1934 in the main street, Garfield Road, selling and repairing all footwear. Here there were two semi-detached shops built of mud bricks and owned by Mrs. Connie Moulds. Connie lived behind the shops and at the back of her house she had her trotting horse stables. Bill Hughes together with Dr. Brim Carroll and Wally Cornwell of Riverstone were silent partners with Laurie Moulds in the ownership of two trotters namely Derby Commerce and Machine Wood, they were trained and driven by Laurie Moulds, Connie’s son. Machine Wood won a race on the first night of night trotting following the War of 1939-1945. The old boot shop was a stopover for many who wanted a yam about trotters and the doings of the meat works. The shop was situated just above the Motor Service Station of W.R Nichols. (See the accompanying photograph) Mrs. Harris who also lived across the Eastern Creek had a “fish and chips” business in the second shop on the topside.
The eldest son Jim, worked with his father in the boot shop until 1940 when he joined The Royal Australian Air Force. Following Jim’s return after the War he wasn’t interested in working in the boot shop, so “Old Bill” as he was known by now, continued on alone until failing health caused his retirement in 1954. A quite family man liked and respected by all who knew him he passed away in 1956, aged 66 years.
Written by his daughter, Mrs. Anne M. Staib. March 2002
The only known occupant of the shop adjacent to Nichols garage was Billy Hughes, who arrived in Riverstone in 1932 and after a short period repairing boots for the dole relief workers, opened a boot repair business. Billy retired c1 955 and moved to Blacktown to live.
Billy is also remembered for his role at the local ‘2 up’ school of the day, and as being the part owner of “Machine Wood”, one of two Riverstone trained trotters that won at the historic first night of trotting under lights at Harold Park, lst October 1949.
Prior to its demolition the shop was used for a short period as a barber’s shop by Ron Todd.
#l5 Garfield Rd. Appears to have been vacant till 1953
Riverstone Meat Co. opened a butchers shop here on the 5th January,1953, after they had sold their old shop over the railway line, opposite the hotel. Today (2001), it is still a butchers shop occupied by Country meats.
# 17 Garfield Rd. vacant till 1950
Chemist Williams built this larger shop in the 19501s, moving up from #9.
Today(2001) it is still a chemist, occupied by Soul Pattinson.
# 19 Garfield Rd
Jack Arnold built a mercery shop here in the mid1 950’s Today it a Delicatessen and supermarket.
#s 21 -23 Garfield Rd. vacant till the late 1940’s.
The Commonwealth Bank built a temporary bank on this site prior to opening of the new premises on the corner of Riverstone Parade and Garfield Rd.
Allan Pfoeffer built the A & A shoe store here in 1954, though part of the shop was leased for haberdashery for several years. After serving the community for 33 years, its doors were closed on the 20th June 1987. Today 2001, it is occupied by Wilkinson’s Real estate.
#s 23 -25 Garfield Rd vacant till 1942
The Post Office moved into these premises in 1942 from the old premises located in the railway station parcel office.
On the other side of the Pitt St. corner, a list compiled in the 1970’s by older residents shows a Frank Wheeler -Auctioneer on this site. It is not known whether the premises were located on the corner or in the Parrington Terraces shop. This is now # 39 but an advert in 1957 shows it to be occupied by Estate Agents Driscoll and Reid, at address #660 Garfield Rd.
The Terrace was built in 1883 by Joseph Parrington, who used part of it as a general store and as a butchers. Parrington at various times was described as a publican, store keeper, orchardist, and hawker. He left Riverstone in 1898. Over the years the terraces were leased to other storekeepers, but it appears to have been more widely used as flats.
# 45 Garfield Rd built 1885?
The Hawkesbury Chronicle 14/2/1885 noted “Mr. Laws, a storekeeper has built himself a very nice house, the material being of brick -cemented; up the road a bit from the station”.
The ‘brick-cement’ comment indicates that this is the house, used as a residence for many years, then as a private hospital from 1924 to 1941 by Sister Barnes and others, and has been used as a Doctors surgery since the 1950’s.
# 2 Riverstone Pde vacant till 1950
Land titles show James Alison & Florence Hay as the first owners, selling to George James in 191 5. Sold to Bill East in 1931, then in 1940 bought by Conways who owned the adjacent newsagency . These building blocks were 33 feet wide and at the time faced Riverstone Parade, extending back to the lane. It was not until the 1 9501s, at the request of the Commonwealth Bank that the lots were changed to face Garfield Rd.
#4 Riverstone Pde same as above # 2
Land titles show James Alison & Florence Hay as the first owners, selling to George James in 191 5. Sold to Bill East in 193 1, then bought by Conways in 1940.
A photo taken in 1880 shows a house and shop with a sign indicating ‘Refreshment Rooms’. The store and rooms were run by Thomas Schoffel and his wife. Next-door is the Riverstone Hotel. These 2 buildings are believed to be among the first business’s built in Riverstone, with Joe Parrington being the Publican.
When Thomas Schoffel began his butchers business, Mrs. Schoffel ran the refreshment rooms on her own. Tom had his slaughterhouse out on the Windsor Road, records show it still operating in 1916.
# 6 Riverstone Pde Riverstone Hotel
The first license for a hotel was issued for the Riverstone Hotel in 1879. It was single storey building facing Garfield Road near the intersection of Riverstone Parade. The book Hawkesbury Journey by D.G. Bowd, shows the licensees for the Riverstone Hotel have been; Joseph Parrington 1879-82; George Ireland 1883-92; Emanuel Joseph 1893-1909; Thomas Buckley 1910; Charles Watson 1911-1913.
In 1879 Joseph Parrington was described as the town publican, storekeeper, butcher and baker.
The corner of Riverstone Parade and Garfield Road, showing the Riverstone Hotel and Schoffel’s store and refreshment rooms, Circa 1900.
Norm Conway bought the site from George James in February 1925 and built his 2-storey brick hairdressing salon, with a residence on the top floor. Conways occupied this store until 1984, the family taking over following Norms death in 1936.
It appears that the land between Conways shop and Market St remained vacant from the 1920’s until the 50’s. Land titles show that this block was bought by George James in 1915. Little is known of any buildings on this site, if any.
It was known as Conways green and used as the site for visiting circus’s and sideshows etc. The land was bought by Dick Stacey in the 1950’s and he had the land fenced. For many years the paddock was used as a home by “Jockey” Stephens, a down and out type who slept there in all types of weather, sometimes under a sheet of iron and sometimes under sheets of newspaper. On cold frosty nights “Jockeyn was also known to have used the palings from the fence as firewood. The first shops, a cafe, a butcher and a greengrocer were built in the 1950’s and Marketown opened on the site in 1978.
Across Market Street, which in those days connected with Riverstone Parade, much of the land was owned by Henry West, who built the Cosmopolitan Hall and several terrace houses on it in 1884. In 1895 the land and buildings were sold to Emanuel Joseph who then built a store on the corner.
Harry Smith’s store, built 1900 on corner of Market St and Riverstone parade, operated by Ted Vaughan and Lionel McCutcheon in the 1920s-30s.
The W and R Gazette noted –
11/8/1900 –Harry Smith moved into Mr Josephs new shop,
2/11 /l907 –Mr. E Vaughan worked at H. Smiths store,
5/5/1922 –Mr. Vaughan bought the corner store in partnership with L. McCutcheon.
Ted Vaughan and Lionel McCutcheon continued to operate the store until the late 30’s.
Billy Brookes used the building as a billiard room during the 1 9401s, until it was taken over by Eric Brookes in 1952 as a boot repair shop. Eric and Fay operated their business from here until they moved in 1968 to their shop in Garfield Rd. The shop then became a doctors surgery for Dr. Quadri. In later years it was used by Rex and Marcia Brookes as a baby clothes shop.
Facing Riverstone Parade and adjacent to this corner store were 3 terrace houses that were originally used as shops.
In December, 1885 the Hawkesbury Chronicle noted there were ‘3 shops on one side of the Cosmopolitan hall, and a blacksmiths and wheelwright on the other’.
It is believed that the terrace of 3 shops in Riverstone Pde and the 4 shops at the rear of the hall were only used as shops for a short period. From the early 1900’s they appear to have been occupied as residences. Ern Byrnes in his article on ‘cockroach alley’ stated that the 3 terrace homes in the 20’s were occupied by his parents, a lady known as ‘Beadie’ Mary, and a Mrs. Johnston.
In the terrace of 3 shops, situated between the corner store and the hall, the only occupant we know of as a shopkeeper is a Mrs. Amour. The Gazette 25/6/1898 noted ‘Mrs. Amour opened a refreshment room in one of E. Joseph’s shops.’ The P.O. Directory 1899 notes Mrs. Amour as a fruiterer.
The Hawkesbury Chronicle on 14th February,1885 noted that Mr. West “had run up a row of small shops at the back of the hall”. The same article referred to Mr. Jeffcott in one of these shops with his boot and shoe making business.
Betty Hope, whose family lived in one of the two houses in the paddock opposite Taylors Produce store in the early 30’s, recalled one of the Alcorn families living in the back row of terrace houses. The houses by this time were in a derelict condition, and the lane was known locally as ‘cockroach alley’.
The Cosmopolitan Hall was built in 1884 for Mr. H. J. West. April 1895 saw the name changed to the Oddfellows Hall, when Emanuel Joseph became the proprietor. Land titles also indicate that Joseph bought the 3 adjoining shops. The land was sold to James Pye in 1921.
In the 1920’s Len Parry recalled the library being located between this corner store and the Oddfellows hall.
The Oddfellows hall was widely used for meetings, concerts, dances, balls, receptions etc, and the Gazette noted that in July,1893 the hall was used twice weekly for skating. Len Parry also recalled the hall being used for skating in the 1920’s and Lance Strachan recalled it used as a skating rink in the 1930’s.
Betty Hope recalls it being used by Mr. and Mrs. Onslow for the “Sunshine Circle”, a children’s club, and in the 30’s as a room for the payment of the dole.
The last recorded use of the hall was for piano lessons and for youth groups in 1940, but the exact date of demolition is not known.
On the opposite side of the road H.R. Reid built a large galvanised iron structure that opened as a Produce store on the 11th December, 1913. Taylor Bros, took over the store in 1924 and operated it until 1961 when it was sold to Steggles.
Referring to the plan of Riverstone business area below:
- and 2. These 2 homes were built c1 900. Families that resided in these homes include Claude and Thelma Schofield (1 920’s to 1946), the Edwards, Stubbins, Johnsons, Haywards.
- A cottage believed to have been occupied by the Alcorn family in the 1930’s
- A terrace of 4 small shops built in1 885 by Henry West who owned the nearby Cosmopolitan Hall. The only known storekeeper was the bootmaker J Jeffcott. Later years saw the rooms used as residences.
- The lane that in later years became known as ‘cockroach alley’.
- Cosmopolitan Hall built 1885 by Henry West. Bought by Emanuel Joseph in 1895 and became known as the Oddfellows Hall and library.
- A terrace of 3 small shops built in 1885 that in later years were also used as residences.
- It is believed this corner store was built in 1900 by Emanuel Joseph. The first occupant was Hany Smith, followed by Ted Vaughan and Lionel McCutcheon.
- The fire station, built in 1931
- A gal. iron shed used to store fuel.
- The produce store built by H.R. Reid in 191 3 and occupied by Taylors from 1924 till 1962.
- Originally the site of the town’s sawmills. In the 30’s and 40’s the land was used as stockyards for horses, mostly destined for the knackery at Rouse Hill. Believed to be the site of the first fire station, 1925 to 1931.
- The Baby Health Centre built in 1934.
- Riverstone Railway Station.
Riverstone Railway Station early 1900s
Riverstone Railway Station, C.W.A. Room, at right of photo.
The Railway Station
When the railway line was built from Blacktown to Richmond in 1864, a small timber platform was built for Riverstone. Also built was a brick building that housed the stationmaster, a waiting room and a booking office. At the time a siding was built to service the sawmills and in the 1880’s another siding was extended to the meatworks, it was known as Richards Siding. Two trains each way per day was the only traffic for many years.
Following the population growth of the early 1880’s a new station office was built in 1886 and this building is still in use today. Also built was a new residence for the stationmaster at the railway gates on Garfield Rd. The original station building became the railway parcels office and the town’s Post Office, a function it was to serve until 1942.
The growth of the meatworks resulted a considerable increase in rail traffic with more passenger trains, stock trains and the freight trains used to transport the meat to Sydney. Older residents well remember the stock trains lined up at the front of the works while being unloaded. For many years stock from the west was unloaded at Rooty Hill and then walked from there to the Riverstone paddocks, to be rested prior to slaughter.
Early morning saw the passenger trains bring an army of workers to the station, this army then walking along the line and Richards siding up to the works, and then back again in the afternoon. For many years the Railways provided special trains for these workers, the afternoon trains at 3.0 pm and 5.0 pm terminating at Riverstone to begin the return journey to Sydney.
At times the station was decorated for special occasions such as the homecoming of soldiers from the First World war. Storekeeper Charles Davis was well known for organising these homecomings and leading the townsfolk with ‘three cheers for our heroes’.
For the wedding of George Terry to Nina Rouse on the 24th April 1895 “the station had been garlanded with bunting and flowers”. Most of the guests travelling from Sydney were alighting at Riverstone.
During the early 1900’s when George Terry was the Master of the Hounds for the Sydney Hunt Club, special trains were used to bring the riders and their horses to Riverstone, where they were unloaded to begin the hunt in the paddocks of Box Hill and Rouse Hill. Competing along with the Sydney gentry and local riders like Frank and Bill Mason, were such famous names as ‘Banjo’ Patterson and ‘Breaker’ Morant
Arial shot of Garfield Road over the railway line in the 1956 flood.
Nichols Garage, the garage on Garfield Road in the late 1930s/40s, now the site of the Commonwealth Bank [photo courtesy of the Nichols family collection]
From the 30’s to the 50′ horses destined for the knackery at Rouse Hill were unloaded on this platform and held in the yards where the railway car park is now sited. They were then walked along Market Street up past the public school and along Garfield Rd. to the knackery.
At the station end of this yard/car park a small weatherboard building was erected as the Baby Health Centre in 1934.
“Over the Railway Line”
Being a flood prone this area has never really developed as a part of the town’s commercial centre, however it did figure prominently in the early days of Riverstone.
Riverstone’s first park was located on the land owned by the meatworks, on the corner of Richards Avenue and Garfield Rd. The land was used for sporting fixtures such as football and cricket, and surrounding this field was a racetrack used for cycling and trotting events. These grounds were used by the Riverstone A. and H. Society for their annual shows that were held in the 1930’s and 40’s.
In this area in the 1950’s the Riverstone Meat Co. built 2 tennis courts, with lights, tennis being a very popular sport in the district from the early 1900’s through to the 1980’s.
A new training track and playing fields were built on the site of the present park in the 1940’s. The old pavilion was dragged over to the new site using a truck owned by Dick
Butcher’s Row, with Neverfail Hotel, 2 storey building on right of photo.
Never Fail Hotel
The second hotel to be built in Riverstone was the Never Fail, a 2 storey weatherboard building on the park side of the corner of Carlton St and Garfield Road West. The hotel was built in 1887, the Gazette in 1889 noting that there were 2 hotels in Riverstone.
It functioned as a hotel for only ten years or so as in 1896 it appears the license was transferred to the new brick hotel that was built near the railway gates, on the corner of West Pde and Garfield Road and known as the Royal Hotel. After the transfer of the licence, it is not known what the Never Fail premises were then used for, but it may have been for accommodation. It is not known when the building was demolished.
Riverstone could boast of 2 hotels for a period of 28 years, from 1887 to 1896 -the Riverstone and the Never Fail, and the Royal and the Riverstone from 1896 until 191 5.
Never Fail hotel licensees were –
1887-96 There is some confusion on the licensees of this hotel as D. Bowds book only shows A. G. East.
Land Titles show the owner as Mary Kane from 25th ~a~ 1887, leasing it to Joseph and James Marshall. She then sold it on the lst July 1892 it to John Thomas Neale who died shortly after taking over. The lease was taken over by his wife Hannah Maria.
The W & R Gazette noted –
-1889 -1896 J Collumb -publican
-1896 -1900 J Wonson -” (may have been Royal)
-1989 that there were 2 hotels in the town.
-26/8/1893 publican -Mary Kane.
The Post Office Directories and Moores Almanac show licensees as –
– 1890 Emanuel Joseph Never Fail Hotel
– 1891-2-3 No licensees shown
– 1894 -5 Mary Kane Never Fail Hotel
Royal Hotel, corner of Garfield Road and West parade, circa 1905.
1896 With the building of the new Royal Hotel, it is likely the licence was transferred from the Never Fail at that time. In the period from 1896 to 1906 the Gazette notes the holding of several race meetings on the race track at back of this Royal hotel.
Royal Hotel licensees
|1896-98||James Collumb||1943-51||W. Morgan|
|1899-03||James Wonson||1951||G. Punch|
|1904||Fred Kingham||1952||E. Butler|
|1905||Roger Glanville||1953-57||J. Shapiro|
|1906-07||Mary Kane||1957-61||F. Butcher|
|1908||Patrick Kirby||1961-62||J. McGrath|
|1909 -15||George James||1962 -64||G. Jefferies|
|1915 -19||William East||1964 -66||K. Williams|
|1919 -28||William East Jnr||1966 -68||E. Webb|
|1928 -35||Mrs. V. East||1968 -69||A. Rafael|
|1935 -39||Frank Hosford||1969 -70||D. Ewings|
|1939 -40||E. Harten||1970 -71||E. Lewis|
|1940 -43||W. Douse||1971 -80||L. Dawson|
The hotel appears to have been extended c1930’s and was demolished in 1977 to make way for the new Royal Tavern, with the old site becoming the car park.
Along from the corner of Garfield Rd. and Carlton St. was a coach builder and blacksmiths occupied by H. J. Williams(l), first noted in the W. and R. Gazette in 1889. It is likely that he commenced his blacksmith business prior to that date as he had already developed a reputation as a top class coach builder.
Following the death of Harry(1) in 1902 it appears Richard Parry took over the business as the blacksmith and coach builder, and soon gained a reputation for his craftsmanship. The Gazette reported Richard Parry sold the business to Mr. E. Burke and Mr. J. Stockwell on the 22nd March 191 8.
It is likely Burke and Stockwell sold the business to Harry(2) Williams when he returned from the 191 4-1 8 War. He was the son of the original blacksmith. From the 1920’s through to the 60’s Harry became widely known as one of the districts best blacksmiths.
Harry(2) passed away on the 9th October 1969.
Between the blacksmiths shop and the corner of Carlton St. were premises that Bill Nichols operated as a garage from 1927 to 1934. The Gazette 19th August 1905 noted that a bootmakers shop adjacent to the blacksmiths was occupied by Mr. Briggs.
Len Parry remembered Bill as a good mechanic who had a 4 cylinder Chevrolet motor set up and used it as a compressor to pump up the tyres, an innovative invention for those days. Bill Nichols sold this garage to Vic Knight when he opened his new garage in 1934 in Garfield Rd. opposite the Olympia theatre.
Vic Knight was the occupier of the garage from 1935 to the 701s, expanding the business to become an agency for Nuffield, selling Morris cars and trucks. He won a competition in 1962 for selling the most Mini Minors, and in later years Alf Saundercock became the manager. Many older residents were intrigued by the sign hanging in the garage, which read:
“No Swearing Aloud “
The premises were sold in the 1980’s and site became a car saleyard, with an auto electrician operating in the workshop.
On the opposite side of Garfield Rd, just through the railway gates, a double storey brick butchers shop with residence on top, was built by the Riverstone Meat Co. and opened on the 6th February, 1922. A customary practice in those days in all butchers shops was to cover the floor with sawdust from the local mills, to make cleaning the premises easier.
Staff that worked in this shop over the years were -butchers Jim Mawson, Sid Turner, Sid Jarrett, Jock Hilton, and some of the cashiers were Betty Schofield, Molly McNamara, Doreen West and Sid Turners wife Dot. The shop closed in 1953 when the company built a new shop at 15 Garfield Rd.
When the shop closed in 1953 it was leased by Jack Smallwood for a short period to sell fruit and vegetables. Jimmy Andrews was the next occupant, prior to his moving into the shop in Riverstone Pde, opposite the Railway station.
In the late 50’s it was used as barbers shop by Jack Davies and then Norm Foley and son Peter both used the shop as hairdressers. In latter years it has been used as a veterinary practice.
In West Pde next door to the hotel was the building that in later years became known as the Riverstone Markets. The date built is not known and the first known occupant is Mrs. Bottles who sold fruit and vegetables.
Bill Granger and his wife came from Ryde to Riverstone in 1934 to operate a store and petrol pump on the Windsor Road. He ran an Army canteen at Ingleburn during the war and then bought the store near the picture show from Tommy Freeman. When he sold this Garfield Road store to George Trahanas in the late 40’s he bought this Markets store near the Hotel.
He operated half the store with groceries and haberdashery and leased the other half as stalls to Freda Wallace who sold baby clothes, and to Mrs. Harpur who sold plants. In later years his daughter took over the shop and also sold hamburgers etc.
In the late 1950’s, it was used by Ambrose Driscoll, as an Auction room to sell second hand furniture and in the 60’s and 70’s it was occupied by L.S. Beck the Estate Agents. It was probably demolished in 1977, at the same time as the Royal Hotel
The Terrace, possibly the building referred to in the Gazette as Aylings Terrace, and located next to the markets is believed to have been built for C. P. Ayling in c.1889. It had several tenants over the years, but no long term ones, probably due to its isolation. Some of the storekeepers who leased in the early years were Charlie Mortley the boot maker, Mrs Becke, Mr Duffin & CO, and Mr. Drake in 191 5
It appears to have had more use as residential building, with the Walsh family living there in the 30’s. The Britton family moved from over the creek to there during the 1940’s and occupied it for several years before moving to a Housing Commission house in Garfield Road in 1949. Graham (Thrippence) Britton recalled the day of moving, as a small boy sitting on his dinky, watching his parents lowering their furniture off the verandah on to Alec Fisher’s truck.
Records from the Post Office Directories, Moore’s Almanac and the Windsor and Richmond Gazette list the following storekeepers in Riverstone up to 1950:
|J Parrington||1879 publican & storekeeper and in 1890a butcher|
|Mr Jeffcott||1885 bootmaker|
|Hobbs & Brown||1885 butchers|
|J J Lepherd||1885 general|
|G Ireland||1885? butcher (1893 sold out after 10years)|
|P J Craddock||1886-|
|C J Harris||1886|
|W Knight||1886 -89|
|C Walsh||1886 -90 produce|
|A Laws||1886- 91 general|
|G Norman||1886 bootmaker|
|Mr Laws||1886 general|
|Benny Wood||1886-1901 general & Auctioneer|
|J. & R Rumery||1886-90 fruiterers|
|W Walker||1886-90 saddler|
|C P Ayling||1886-96 in Terrace|
|Nicholson||1887 -92 watchmaker|
|J Aird||1888 -1901 tailor|
|J Links||1888 -90 general|
|Davis Bros||1889- 1927 general|
|A Smith||1889 baker|
|W Smith||1889 bootmaker|
|R S Knight||1889 draper|
|H Williams||1889-1902 blacksmith|
|J & T Schoffel||1889-1920 butch/gen|
|J George||1890 baker|
|Krause & Gobel||1890 bakers|
|J Doyle||1890 butcher|
|T Huxley||1890 coachbuilder|
|G Hayes||1890 hairdresser|
|F Wheeler||1891-1911 auctioneer and registrar|
|Mrs Becke||1892 dressmaker|
|Bambridge & Darling||1892 general|
|Cordial maker||1892 rear Cosm. Hall|
|R J Wheeler||1893- 1918 blacksmith|
|Haberstrok||1893 –97 watchmaker|
|Atlas Jam factory||1893 commenced|
|J Petchell||1893 fish|
|P Johnston||1894 hairdresser|
|C Mortley||1895-1902 bootmaker|
|Bam. & Darling||1896 take over Aylings|
|George Green||1896-02 general|
|JH Cragg||1897 Auctioneer|
|Bam. & Dar||1897 split; Darling only|
|Mr Newnham||1898 baker|
|Mr. Shepherd||1898 butch. cart|
|T Schoffel||1898 butchers cart|
|Mr. Schipp||1898 butcher’s cart|
|Bob Gunton||1898 butchers cart|
|H Wood||1898 milk cart|
|Benny Wood||1898 moved over railway line to Aylings|
|Miss Knight||1898 music & dressmaking|
|Mrs. Amour||1898 ref. room & gen|
|G Arnold||1899 baker|
|P Reynolds||1899 butcher|
|Gray Hope Co.||1899 butchers|
|Bambridge||1899 opens new store|
|A & C Jarrett||1899 tailors|
|Joe Williams||1899 tinsmith|
|H Wittig||1899-1917 hairdresser|
|H J Smith||1900 to Joseph’s new shop|
|Ms. Kirwan||1900 boot shop|
|W Moon||1900 ref. rooms|
|Mr. Lee||1901 furniture|
|T Mangold||1902- hairdresser|
|Mrs Wendell||1902 wine shop|
|H Saundercock||1904 -27 auctioneer|
|Alfred Smith||1904 blacksmith|
|W Johnson||1905-08 greengrocer|
|C J Briggs||1905-1 5 bootmaker|
|R Parry||1905-1 8 blacksmith|
|F Rosa||1905-26 greengrocer|
|Dibley||1906- 13 hairdresser|
|T Schoffel||1906 -15 greengrocer|
|W McCarthy||1906 blacksmith|
|R P King||1906-08 baker|
|Mrs Donohoe||1910 ref rooms|
|C Gurney||1911 baker|
|W P Conrad||1911-15 baker|
|C B Jones||1911-1919 ref rooms|
|H R Reid||1911-23 produce|
|M M Cohen||1912- 23 general|
|C Davis of NSW||1913 -27 agent for bank|
|M O’Connor||1913-17 general|
|J Green||1913-18 tinsmith|
|H Skinner||1913-23 greengrocer|
|N Conway||1914 -hairdresser|
|W Griffen||1914-15 bootmaker|
|H R Reid||1914-23 produce|
|T Schoffel||1915 moved to hotel|
|Mr Drake||1915 to Aylings|
|W Wallace||1916 -29 baker|
|T Griffen||1916-23 bootmaker|
|S George||1917 bought Rosa’s greengrocer|
|J Posselt||1917-22 general|
|Edward Vaughan and Lionel McCutcheon||1918 bought H Smith’s store|
|R Fell||1918 produce|
|A Kendall||1919-20 hairdresser|
|W Thompson||1921 -22 blacksmith|
|F Storey||1921 -23 general|
|J Agar||1921 -25 greengrocer|
|Mrs Gough||1921-32 ref rooms|
|G Moulds||1922-34 general|
|Stacey/Amett||1923 -24 general|
|J F Foley||1923 hairdresser|
|Hunt Bros||1923-25 blacksmiths|
|Miss Shirley||1923-34 dressmaker|
|J Petchell||1924 -33 bootmaker|
|R Beutel||1924 bootmaker|
|H Bambridge||1924 general|
|C Davis||1924 hairdresser|
|Taylor Bros||1924 produce|
|J Mckenna||1924-28 produce|
|H J Williams||1924-60 blacksmith|
|H Wallace||1926 baker joins W|
|H Young||1926 -30 greengrocer|
|W Nichols||1926-86 garage|
|J Hart||1927-31 general|
|W Blair||1927-60 greengrocer|
|Mrs Free||1928-31 ref rooms|
|Mrs Jarrett||1928-31 ref rooms|
|L Rosenthall||1929 new store|
|J Trenery||1929-33 auctioneer|
|C Fisher||1929-53 baker|
|Mrs Jarrett||1930-31 ref rooms|
|Dickerson||1931 -33 general|
|C Knight||1931 -49 general|
|Morgans||1931-32 ref rooms|
|Moulos Bros||1932-34 ref rooms|
|Mrs. Edwards||1933-40 ref rooms|
|C McConnell||1934-36 agent/auct|
|M Power||1934-37 bootmaker|
|Billy Hughes||1934-54 bootmaker|
|Nelson Andrews||1935-40 hairdresser|
|R Fell||1937 agent/auct|
|L Brookes||1937-40 agent/auct|
|Mrs Roberts||1937-42 ref rooms|
Public Servants, Agents,etc.
|1891-1911||Frank Wheeler, also the Registrar for Births, Deaths, and marriages|
|1898-1908||Joseph Henry Cragg|
|1901-05||J.J. Smith H Saundercock|
Notes; Mail was collected from the railway post office until 1934, when deliveries of mail commenced to the local residents.
Telegrams were delivered on horseback, the first messenger was Claude Ireland.
|1877||Post Office opened at Railway station. Mr Burge the Station Master held both positions|
|1879||Cornelius Rowe, Lousia Rowe and James Rowe shared the positions.|
|1880 -83||H.J. Addison -held both positions|
|1884 -86||Henry Campion -held both positions till 1886|
|1886 -1914||Harry Kirwan -appointed first Postmaster|
|1915 -17||A.B. Fenwick|
|1919 -22||Mr. Neall|
|1923 -33||T.B. Davis|
|1934 -36||W.V. O’Connor|
The Railway arrived in Riverstone in 1864
|1889-92||E. Grace, Constable|
# 64 ? Garfield Road The doctors surgery records show the following Doctors have practiced in Riverstone. It is not known if they all practiced at this address.
|1898 –||Dr Studdy|
|1905 –||Dr Dight|
|1906 –||Dr. Blue|
|1909 –||Dr. Chisholm|
|1912 –||Dr. A Johnston|
|1925 –||Dr. Baden Cooke|
|1928 –||Dr. Harold George Rich|
|1940 –||Dr. Mollie Lapin|
|1950 –||Dr. Fraser Boag|
|1902||Mr. Buchanan shown as chemist in PO directory|
|1936||Earl Mitchell, leasing the shop from Miss Shirley at 9|
|Garfield Rd, opened a chemist shop|
|1944||Lyle Williams took over from Earl Mitchell|
|1961||W D Kull opened chemist shop in Riverstone Pde,|
|1958 c||Lyle Williams opened new shop at 17 Garfield Rd.|
|1963||Lyle Williams sold to W Callanan|
|1981||W Callanan renovated chemist shop|